There are thousands of sun screen products on the market and over the years is been more and more confusing to figure out what to and what not to buy, especially if going for a safe choice.
Most of us don't really think of the skin as being an organ but really it is our largest one and we need to treat it with respect. it covers and protects our whole self! And whatever we decide to add to the skin will most likely have some kind of impact on our health in a good or bad way.
We have no clue of the long-term consequences of the chemicals in cosmetics, sun screen and skin care in general.
So the easiest thing would be to tell you not to use any sun screen but that would not be a safe choice either! No one wants to end up all wrinkled and with the risk of developing skin cancer so we have to be smart when having fun in the sun - follow the common sun tips so you can still catch your vitamin D without getting sun burned or wrinkled and avoid sun screen products full of damaging chemicals!
What to look for:
- Choose sunscreen products that are rated 0-2 in the EWG's (Environmental Working Group's Sunscreen Guide)
- Look for titanium dioxide and zinc oxide based mineral sunscreens. The do not penetrate the skin and will provide UVA protection against the sun’s most damaging rays.
- Choose non-nano products. Non-nano products do not have small particles that can absorb into skin and maybe cause damage
- Go for sunscreens that are unscented or use essential oils as fragrance
- Go for lotion based sunscreens with water resistance
- Go for broad spectrum sunscreens. They protect against both UVA and UVB rays
- Badger - I love this brand - its certified organic, have a wide selection of SPFs and options for babies and kids, comes with and without scents
- Aubrey Organics - SPF 26-45
- California Baby - SPF 18-30
- The Honest Company SPF 30
- Seventh Generation - SPF 30
And please remember not to be too scared of the sun as it is also our friend. The sun contributes significantly to the daily production of Vitamin D, and just 10 minutes of exposure a few times a week is often enough to prevent you from deficiencies. Vitamin D also helps boost your immune system, your bone strength not to forget about your serotonin levels - your happy hormone that keeps off depression and those annoying cravings - often being carvings for sugar!
Happy fun in the sun!