Veggie Nori Rolls
1 – 11/2
cups cooked short brown rice
1 cup plus 1 teaspoon water
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 sheets nori, roasted
1/2 seedless cucumber, cut into matchsticks
1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
Assembly: 5 minutes
- Place rice in a non-metal bowl.
- In a small bowl stir together vinegar and remaining teaspoon of soy sauce.
- Pour vinegar mixture over rice, tossing gently with a large spoon to combine.
- Place sushi mat on a work surface with slats running crosswise.
- Arrange 1 sheet nori, shiny side down, on mat, lining up a long edge of sheet with edge of mat nearest you.
- Using damp fingers gently press half of rice onto nori in 1 layer, leaving a 1 3/4-inch border on side farthest from you.
- Arrange half of cucumber in an even strip horizontally across rice, starting 1 inch from side nearest you.
- Arrange half of carrot just above cucumber in same manner.
- Peel avocado half and cut lengthwise into thin slices, then arrange half of slices just above carrot in same manner.
- Beginning with edge nearest you, lift mat up with your thumbs, holding filling in place with your fingers and fold mat over filling so that upper and lower edges of rice meet, then squeeze gently but firmly along length of roll, tugging edge of mat furthest from you to tighten.
- Open mat and roll log forward to seal with nori border.
- Transfer roll, seam side down, to a cutting board.
- Make second log in same manner, than cut each log crosswise into 6 pieces with a wet thin-bladed knife.
- Serve with wasabi paste, soy sauce and ginger.